Quell any sugar craving

Wednesday, June 2, 2010


These are posted on the MDA forum, they are called Batty's Blueberry balls and they are awesome! I adjusted mine a little just to include a little 85% chocolate and ground almonds. Here's the link to the recipe. They are seriously awesome, very rich and obviously you have to like butter. I found they fill you up and hit the spot when you are craving pudding.

Here's the orginal recipe as posted at Marks Daily Apple:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/showthread.php?8256-batty-s-blueberry-butter-balls.-with-b-coconut..

this is a fun and tasty way to get your fat on. beware, these are addictive, and should only be consumed in moderation.

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter, unsalted
1/2 cup blueberries
2 egg yolks
3 T shredded coconut, unsweetened
1T vanilla

DIRECTIONS:
let the butter sit out until soft. puree your blueberries in a food processor. if they are frozen, defrost them first otherwise they'll give you all kinds of issues when you mix them in with the butter. in a medium mixing bowl, add egg yolk, butter, vanilla, and blueberries. use a hand mixer to combine everything until fluffy and peak-y.

you *can*, if you want, add some honey, but it is absolutely not necessary if you have good quality blueberries and vanilla. you can probably add a dash or two more vanilla, too, to taste.

fold in the coconut until well combined. stick the entire bowl in the fridge and let sit for 45 mins to an hour. you want the mixture pretty solid.

take the mixture out and form into one inch balls. roll in extra shredded coconut to coat.

store in an airtight container in the fridge, otherwise they'll get all melty on warm days.

VARIATIONS:
these are awesome as is, but you can also add ground almonds, walnuts, shredded dried figs, etc, for added texture and flavor. i didn't because i am avoiding that stuff

enjoy!

11 comments

  1. Hi Michelle!
    I just found your blog through Mark's Daily Apple. Your transformation is amazing!!! You are soo beautiful! I too have lost about 50lbs,have a about 5lbs to go. I'm loving your recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Trixie, aww thanks so much, great you have stopped by. That's awesome weight loss, good on you!!! I'm trying to keep the blog up to date with recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,please do..I need some new ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michelle!

    I've been following your blog for awhile and thought it was about time I said hello!

    Just whipped up a batch of these with raspberries - the mix is in the fridge right now - can't wait to try it!

    I wanted to say - I've found you to be a fantastic inspiration. I've lost about 20kg in 10months eating primally Was stuck at 75kg (I'm a 164cm female) for awhile (3 months or so) and have recently started using fitday see where I was falling down (as you've said yourself many times, it's easy to let things slip...). I realised my carbs were a little high for fat loss (at around 100g) and I wasn't getting enough protein. Anyway, since keeping better track I've lost 3kg in the last month and upping my protein has given me so much energy! I've got about another 10-12kg to go but I feel re-energised about it all. Just curious - have you ever used fitday (or similar)? Do you have a specific number that you try to limit carbs to, or do you just eat primally and let it work itself out?

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Meemo
    Soo sorry for the really late reply!! Thanks for saying hello 
    What did you think of using raspberries? The butter balls are extremely rich and if you like butter which I do you will like it but one of my friends gave it a go and maybe found it a bit much.
    Well done, you are doing great!! It is really easy to let the carbs creep too high, I find I need to watch my protein also, just not gorge on it but have enough to give me plenty of energy! I honestly have never used anything like fitday and have been relatively lucky just eating primally and the weight has come off, I have however known when I’m eating too much, I seem to be pretty in touch with my body to know when I’m in weight loss phase or maintenance. I do wonder though if losing the last little bit is going to take some more work and possible tracking, I dear say so!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Michelle,
    Have you always been in tune with your hunger? I ask because until I cut our sugar and grains,I don't think I ever truly knew when I was hungry or if I was just coming off a sugar crash. I'm really trying to get to the place where you are, tracking and calorie counting can be a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Trixie, not at all, when I used to eat grains and all other high carb foods my hunger switch was definately broken and I was constantly hungry!!

    So long as I eat plenty of high fat protein rich foods my hunger switch works easily, if I go a little too high on the carbs my body will tell me and then it feels too much like a diet if I start calorie counting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your thoughts. BTW: Do you still have sugar cravings?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your welcome! Oh not really, when I have non primal foods most definately but when I'm strict primal I only indulge in some really dark chocolate and it doesn't trigger any sugar cravings thank god!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Michelle

    The raspberry turned out well - I've not tried them with blueberries but I would think the tartness of the raspberries would help to cut through the butter a little. Tasted surprisingly like a raspberry sorbet!

    Thanks so much for your kind words - a little more to go and then I can find the balance to maintain!

    Thanks for the great recipes - I love cooking and the new ideas keep things fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look amazing! Thanks for showing us how you made them.

    ReplyDelete

All rights reserved. © The Poppy Creative.