Grassfed Ghee

Tuesday, September 10, 2013


The best ghee is made from pasture fed cow’s milk. It's really hard to find good quality ghee in my home town.  So I've decided to make my own. Ghee can be heated to higher temperatures without burning, it also doesn't contain dairy which can be problematic for a lot of people.  I'm doing a Whole30 at the moment and I just love butter so for me it just made sense to make myself ghee.  I would go so far to say is that I find it superior to butter for cooking, sautéing etc...
  • Unsalted Butter - grassfed or pastured
  • Thick bottom saucepan (I used copper bottom and stainless steel)
  • Ladle
  • Glass jar with airtight lid
  • Tea Strainer
You do need a little patience when making Ghee.

Place your butter in your saucepan and gently heat so the butter melts very slowly - you do not want to burn the butter otherwise you will ruin it.

I used the Lewis Road Creamery Unsalted Butter from pasture-fed cows in New Zealand.






Once the butter has melted you can turn up the heat but not too high, you want it to be bubbling but not too rapidly.


As the butter boils the milk solids will begin to separate, start to skim off the milk solids as this happens.  This process takes about 20 minutes but do not walk away! Keep a close eye on it.



Once you have had it boiling for about 20 minutes, it's different for different amounts of butter, here I've done a batch of 750gms of butter.  Strain the ghee through a tea strainer so that any of pieces are left at the bottom don't end up in your finished product.


Ghee should be stored at room temperature, not refrigerated. Ghee will turn rancid if it is exposed to oxygen for too long.



You will be left with beautiful liquid gold! This stuff is really amazing and you will not regret the time it takes to do this!





No comments

Post a Comment

All rights reserved. © The Poppy Creative.