Low Carb Pizza Base

Friday, September 21, 2012



I've tried many many low carb pizza bases since I've been primal and pretty much all of them have been quite good with a few epic fails!

This one is a winner with hubby who is my biggest critic of any of the 'substitute' concoctions I have tried over the years. He was loving it and gave me words 'You nailed it baby', music to my ears :-)

So the recipe is below, first I would like to give credit to Your lighter side as that is where the idea for combining chicken and mozzarella comes from, she suggests to use an egg and flaxseed if you are dairy intolerant so I figured what would it hurt to just add those in as well and reduce the amount of chicken a little, her original recipe is here if you'd like to try it...http://yourlighterside.com/easy-pizza-crust/

The way I made it was:

  • 3/4 cup leftover cooked chicken breast crumbled in a food processor
  • 1 cup grated Mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning


Preheat oven to 215C fan bake

Prepare an oven tray or pizza tray with non stick baking paper plus an extra piece of baking paper.

Crumble the chicken first in the food processor so you can measure an exact 3/4 cup, then pop back in to the food processor, add the cheese and pulse so it crumbles also and then add the rest of the ingredients, it will turn into a slightly sticky dough mixture.

Dump the mixture onto your tray lined with baking paper and either press into your desired shape or roll the dough into a ball and place the other piece of baking paper on top and use your rolling pin to flatten it out evenly.

Bake the base in your oven for 10 minutes and then top with your choice of toppings, there's no need for it to stand or flip. Pop your toppings on and then grill for approx 5 minutes to cook the toppings and crisp the cheese.

I generally top mine with some BBQ sauce, pesto, red onions, cherry tomatoes, roasted red peppers, hot salami, feta or cream cheese and then more mozzarella, then grill.

It was ready to eat right away with my hands which made me feel like I was almost eating the real thing, just remember that nothing will ever work the same as wheat flour but a lot of the low carb recipes are pretty great! This recipe was the best I have tried so far!!!

2 comments

  1. I don't have a food processor. Do you know how this would turn out in a blender?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not good in a blender! You do really need a food processor.

      Delete

All rights reserved. © The Poppy Creative.